24 March is World Tuberculosis Day
World Tuberculosis Day, with the theme 'Yes! We can end TB!', is observed on March 24. The day is dedicated to raise awareness about tuberculosis and to step up efforts to end this disease. Tuberculosis (TB) is a common infectious disease caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria1. M. tuberculosis most often infects the lungs but also the brain, kidneys or the spine can be affected2. In most cases the infection is curable, but it can also be fatal if proper treatment is not available. 1,2
TB can be either latent or active. In an active TB the person has symptoms. Individuals with active TB spread the infection to others and in clinical investigation they may have an abnormal chest x-ray, positive sputum smear or culture. In a latent TB the person is infected with M. tuberculosis but has no symptoms and does not spread the disease. The chest x-ray is normal and sputum smear is negative but a skin test or a blood test still indicates TB infection. Latent TB can turn into active disease and therefore persons with latent TB need treatment.3
Aidian offers tests for identifying both active and latent TB
ELITech's MDR/MTB ELITe MGB® Kit is a real-time PCR assay for the simultaneous detection of the DNA of M. tuberculosis and resistance to rifampicin (RIF) and isoniazid (INH). The MTB EXTRA ELITe MGB® Kit is a real-time PCR assay designed for the detection of the DNA of M. tuberculosis. Both assays are validated in combination with ELITe InGenius, a fully automated sample-to-result solution. Learn more from Elite InGenius Ever-Growing Menu Flyer.
SD BIOSENSOR's STANDARD™ M10 versatile point of care platform offers tests on pre-treated sputum samples for detection of active TB. These all-in-one cartridges can be stored at room temperature. The available tests are for simultaneous qualitative detection of M. tuberculosis and non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM) or for simultaneous qualitative detection of M. tuberculosis nucleic acids and drug-resistance against rifampicin (RIF) and isoniazid (INH). Learn more from STANDARD M10 flyer.
SD BIOSENSOR's STANDARD F system's TB-Feron FIA fluorescent immunoassay kit is suitable for detection of also latent TB. The test measures the concentration of IFN-g in whole blood samples to identify response to recombinant TB antigens associated with M. tuberculosis infection.
Aidian distributes SD BIOSENSOR STANDARD M and STANDARD F in the Nordic and Benelux countries. The ELITech products are distributed in the Nordics and the Baltics. Contact us for further information.
Learn more about World Tuberculosis Day with the theme 'Yes! We can end TB!':
- World Health Organization (WHO): - https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-tb-day/2023
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/tb/worldtbday/default.htm
- STOP TB: https://www.stoptb.org/advocate-to-endtb/world-tb-day
- World Health Organization. Tuberculosis. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis. Accessed 20.2.2023.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tuberculosis General Information Fact Sheet. https://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/general/tb.htm. Accessed 20.2.2023.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Latent TB Infection and TB Disease. https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/tbinfectiondisease.htm. Accessed 20.2.2023.